Sunday, 18 October 2015

[1907] RAILWAY CONSTRUCTION IN THE SOUTH: THE FIRST TRAIN ARRIVING AT DOMETT STATION, ON THE EXTENSION OF THE CHEVIOT LINE, NORTH CANTERBURY, N.Z., MARCH, 1907.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19070404-4-2

[1906] METHVEN RAILWAY STATION, CANTERBURY, UNDER SNOW.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19060830-13-2

[1905] A PANORAMIC VIEW OF LYTTELTON, THE CHIEF OF CANTERBURY, SHOWING THE HARBOUR AND SHIPPING


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19050727-8-2

[1905] A VIEW OF LYTTELTON HARBOR. CANTERBURY, SHOWING PORTION OF THE SHIPPING.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19050622-2-1

[1909] TUNNELLING THE SOUTHERN ALPS BETWEEN WESTLAND AND CANTERBURY.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZG-19090512-20-1

[1940] FLOODING IN WESTLAND: HOKITIKA SUFFERS AS RIVER RISES AND INUNDATES PORTION OF TOWN



Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19400313-48-3

[1939] COLLAPSE OF LINE THROWS ENGINE DOWN BANK: DRIVER KILLED IN WESTLAND RAILWAY ACCIDENT


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19391129-39-1

[1929] Two of the Rewanui mines and a view of Rapahoe station


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19290131-45-4

[1923] Opening of Otira Tunnel

 Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19230802-37-1

Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19230802-44-1
Note the photos of the battery electric locomotive E 1

[1923] CONSTRUCTION WORKS ON THE OTIRA RAILWAY, WESTLAND, SHOWING THE ELECTRICAL POWER HOUSE AND ENGINE SHEDS IN THE BACKGROUND


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19230405-44-6

[1923] THE RECENT RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT BRUNNERTON. WESTLAND, SOUTH ISLAND: A VIEW SHOWING THE DERAILED CARRIAGE.


The suspension bridge across the Grey River still stands, having been restored a few years ago. It was originally used by tramway and road traffic and continued in the latter role for many years after the mines closed. These mines were the site of New Zealand's worst mining disaster.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19230308-40-7

[1922] THE NEW POWER STATION AT OTIRA, WESTLAND, WHICH SUPPLIES CURRENT FOR THE ARTHUR'S PASS TUNNEL RAILWAY.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19221130-41-2

[1922] Freight train through the Otira Tunnel, some months in advance of the completion and official opening


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19221130-41-1

[1921] General view of Arthurs Pass station with a coach leaving for Otira, prior to the tunnel opening


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19211027-32-1

[1918] NEW TRAMWAY AND TRAFFIC BRIDGE OVER THE MIKONUI RIVER, WESTLAND, SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND, WHICH WAS RECENTLY OPENED FOR TRAFFIC.

Mikonui River is just south of Ross. This bush tramway appears to be close to the NZR gauge. It is interesting that the bridge was built both for the tramway and, it would appear, a public road.

Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19181031-40-1

[1918] LINKING UP CANTERBURY AND W ESTLAND BY RAIL: VIEW OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE OTIRA TUNNEL, FROM THE WESTLAND SIDE.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19180829-39-1

[1917] THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE HUGE AND COSTLY OTIRA TUNNEL. IN THE SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND. TO LINK UP THE CANTERBURY AND WESTLAND PROVINCES: THE TUNNEL-WORKERS' HOMES AT THE BEALEY END OF THE TUNNEL. THE OTHER END BEING AT OTIRA IN WESTLAND.


In the vicinity of the present day Arthurs Pass township. The bridge approaching the tunnel entrance can be seen in the background.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19170816-32-1

[1913] LINKING WESTLAND WITH CANTER-BURY: WORKMEN ENTERING THE OTIRA TUNNEL, NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION ON THE SOUTH MIDLAND RAILWAY


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19130807-52-2

[1913] A bush tramway engine immersed in 9ft of water: A log train thrown into the river at Ruru, westland, through the collapse of a swing bridge.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19130522-10-2

[1911] THE WASH-OUT ON THE RAILWAY LINE AT OTIRA, WESTLAND: THE BREACH IN THE LINE, SHOWING OTIRA TOWNSHIP IN THE BACKGROUND


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19111109-16-4

[1911] Mining skip road at Denniston


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19111005-11-3

[1902] Greymouth, Cobden road bridge and rail bridge under construction


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19020731-6-3

[1914] The present terminus of the South Island Midland Railway: Halpin Creek, 15 miles beyond Cass.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19140101-50-4

[1912] AN IMPORTANT WORK HELD UP: THE OTIRA TUNNEL, ON THE SOUTH ISLAND MIDLAND RAILWAY ROUTE, WHICH THE CONTRACTORS DESIRE TO HAND OVER TO THE GOVERNMENT.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19120822-4-1

[1912] THE COMING OF WINTER: A VIEW OF CASS, THE PRESENT TERMINUS OF THE CANTERBURY SECTION OF THE SOUTH ISLAND MIDLAND RAILWAY, UNDER A LIGHT FALL OF SNOW.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19120523-13-3

[1911] THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE GREAT OTIRA TUNNEL, ON THE SOUTH ISLAND MIDLAND RAILWAY: THE FOUR O'CLOCK SHIFT GOING IN TO WORK.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19110323-11-2

[1911] ON THE ROUTE OF THE SOUTH ISLAND MIDLAND RAILWAY: OTARAMA, CANTERBURY, FOR MANY YEARS THE EASTERN TERMINUS OF THE LINE.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19110223-14-1

CONSTRUCTION OF THE MIDLAND RAILWAY:VIEW OF BROKEN RIVER TERMINUS, CANTERBURY, N.Z. [1907]


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19070912-15-2

Friday, 16 October 2015

Train at Cromwell 1918


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19180207-34-5

RAILWAY CONSTRUCTION IN THE SOUTH ISLAND: BRIDGING THE THIRD CROSSING OF THE MANUHERIKIA RIVER ON THE ROUTE OF THE OTAGO CENTRAL RAILWAY. [1906]



Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19060906-16-1

A VIEW OF THE MANGAWEKA VIADUCT FROM THE ROAD. [1903]


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZG-19030613-1651-2

THE EAST COAST RAILWAY ADVANCES ANOTHER STEP OTOKO VIADUCT READY FOR TRAFFIC [1912]


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZG-19120110-21-1

BUILDING THE BIG VIADUCT AT OTOKO [1911]


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZG-19110322-32-1

Kopuawhara Viaduct 1941: VIADUCT CONSTRUCTION ON THE EAST COAST RAILWAY LINE, NORTH ISLAND: PLACING THE SUPERSTRUCTURE FOR THE CENTRAL CONCRETE ARCH


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19410326-32-2

CONSTRUCTING RAILWAY VIADUCT: Okarahia Viaduct on Main North Line [1941]


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19410319-32-2

MOHAKA RAIL VIADUCT SERVES AS HIGHWAY BRIDGE [1938]


Serious flooding washed out the road bridge at this locality so the newly completed railway bridge was pressed into service for vehicles.

Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19380622-55-2

Manawapou Viaduct Replacement 1914: SATISFACTORY TEST OF A NEW VIADUCT ON THE WELLINGTON-NEW PLYMOUTH RAILWAY: THREE ENGINES, WEIGHING 190 TONS, ON THE MOKOIA BRIDGE.


Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19140514-44-2

Thursday, 15 October 2015

Linwood Locomotive Depot, 18xx - 2015

Since Linwood Locomotive Depot is now being prepared for demolition here is a brief appraisal and some photos. I have not found any information as to when the depot was first established at the Linwood site except that the oldest file in Archives New Zealand's collection referring to it is dated 1897. The depot was the major base in North Canterbury for locomotives and the only one remaining after many others were successively closed due to changing operational requirements over the history of NZR and its successors. Over its many years, facilities were established to service steam, electric and diesel locomotives, and diesel and electric railcars. At its greatest extent the sheds and tracks required for these capabilities extended all the way from the main entrance down to the Ensors Road level crossing, but the gradual cutback in locomotive numbers with the changing role of NZ Railways and also the depot itself saw a significant number of these facilities disappear and and as much as half of the entire site has been sold off or leased since the 1980s.  

With the rationalisation of railway facilities in the Christchurch area from the 1980s onwards, locomotive overhauls in the district have been carried out entirely at Linwood. The Addington Workshops built W 192 (their No.1) was transferred to Linwood in the 1990s after the shops closed. In the mid 1990s the preparation and crewing functions were relocated to Middleton where they have been based ever since, leaving Linwood as primarily an overhaul facility. The staff amenities block which formerly had a separate entrance off Laurence Street, has been leased out since that time and its site was occupied by Leopard Coachlines, a passenger transport operator,  for a number of years and more recently was used by Fletchers EQR. This building is separate from the main depot and is not being demolished to my knowledge.

These photos are all from my own collection, no doubt others can be found on the World Wide Web. Aerial photos from Canterbury Maps and the maps from NZ Rail Maps.

 The depot had its own water tower for supplying the steam engines, now redundant.



The former Laurence St entrance and a couple of Leopard Coachlines' buses.


Ensors Road entrance when it was leased to Alstom in the early 2000s. Kerry Parry was the manager for this operation; prior to that he had a career at Addington Workshops and Loco as a locomotive fitter and also worked on the restoration of steam locomotives at Ferrymead.


The last of the old steam sheds ended its days housing old rolling stock. This included, for a period in the 1980s, DG 2451 which was owned by Rodger Redward for his abortive "Southern Rail" preservation project based at Prebbleton. Unfortunately all of the rolling stock for this project was held in his personal ownership rather than in trust and as such was therefore classified as matrimonial property to be divided up in his divorce case. As such this locomotive ended up being sold to Pacific Scrap and was towed to Sockburn in the early 1990s to be cut up. The back of the shed was somewhat open due to fire damage at this time.



For a number of years the amenities block had its own set of sidings for locomotive storage. Here we can see a number of DJs, DCs and DFs. The sidings were at some stage probably 10-15 years ago taken up and replaced by carpark; possibly when this part of the site was leased to Leopard Coachlines.



Early 1990s, DI 1102 / 1820 is seen en route to the Diesel Traction Group at Ferrymead for preservation. Also of note are the FH van and water tank support wagons for W 192 to the right.


During the late 1980s the practice of painting locomotive cabs grey was abandoned to save on masking and spraying costs. DF 6058 is here seen with its cab painted in the same orange/red colour as the long hood behind.


At the beginning of 1988 the Southern Rail site at Prebbleton was cleared due to non payment of lease fees and all of the rolling stock was seized and auctioned to recover the debts. Here are some of the carriages and other items stored in sidings next to the double tracks of the Main South Line.


Several disused Mitsubishi 0-6-0 shunters stored at the depot in the late 1980s. Regrettably almost all of these relatively modern and useful locomotives were scrapped around this time, although the three DSBs survived until sometime in the 1990s.


During 1988 the Rail 125 commemorations were held in Christchurch. DG 772 was used to haul a mainline excursion to Springfield during the event and is seen here about a month prior being prepared for a test run to Rolleston.


Also during Rail 125 here are some preserved steam locomotives at the Linwood Depot Open Day.


The last of the old steam sheds as mentioned above was finally demolished in 1989 with materials salvaged by the Diesel Traction Group for a proposed shed at Ferrymead that has yet to be built. The ladder used to reach to the roof of this building. The Fiat railcar segment was originally part of the Southern Rail collection that was kept when the rest of the Fiats were sent to Prebbleton for scrapping. As there was no interest in preservation at the time the cab front of this item ended up in a Bromley scrapyard and was later purchased by the RM133 Trust for parts and shipped to Pahiatua.


Mainline Steam Trust's KA 942 was based at Loco in 1992 for a series of mainline excursions in conjunction with the Diesel Traction Group and is seen here alongside DF 6064.


Another shot from 2005 showing two of Leopard's urban passenger buses. These particular buses had an interesting history being originally built as trolley buses for the Auckland system, which closed before they were commissioned. They then went to Wellington to be used on the trolley system there but only had a short operational life before being put into storage. They were eventually bought by Leopard and being Volvo B10M chassis they were able to be fitted with the Volvo diesel engines and transmissions and put into service on the Christchurch routes. As operated in the city some of these only had a two speed automatic gearbox and were certainly interesting to ride on in this configuration. Leopard eventually sold all of theirs to a Wellington bus operator.


These two images above and below are 1973 aerials of the Loco depot area.







These two maps (above and below) show the changes between 1973 and 2010 at the depot site. The major change is the lease in recent years of a large area to Fulton Hogan and latterly the Department of Corrections.