Monday 22 June 2015

More Cromwell aerial photos

After looking at what I got and what I expected to get I have determined that what seems to line up perfectly on the photo alignment layer actually doesn't quite work as expected with the actual images. The best explanation is the contact prints are actually cropped somewhat, and that is the reason why they overlap. What this means in practice is I have to get more images in order to have complete coverage.

So the next request to Archives New Zealand will be for the following images:
  • Survey 1452, Run S, Photo 6: The actual end of the line (and probably the highway as well)
  •  S:1452 / R:T / P:2, 5, 8, 9, 11, 14
  • S:1452 / R:U / P: 6, 7, 9
  • S:1452 / R:V / P: 1, 2, 4, 8, 10
These will give fully overlapped coverage with the ones I already have, enabling me to map all the way down to the dam. 

To ensure coverage of the old Clyde station and anything else in the township area I will also need S 1452 / R W / P 4, 5, 7, 8. These will be put in the same request. For 19 images the cost will be $25 which is only a little over $1 per image. So all very reasonable.

This will enable me to complete the maps for the entire Cromwell gorge, including the various intermediate stations. The aerials are good enough to show where the tracks went at Waenga, and the various bridges, and Doigs ballast pit etc.