View Larger Map
The map in the original article will update whenever Trainweb’s server gets around to updating its cache (or may be dependent on your ISP’s caching as well).
Knowing the route a bit more precisely lets me write some sort of route description which is as follows. All the descriptions assume the railway is at the surface at the points referenced.
- From Avondale the line turns to cross New North Road then running through open reserve/parkland to reach a small bridge. Average gradient: 1 in 200
- Continuing to Richardson Road the average gradient has steepened to 1 in 50.
- From there to Sandringham Road the gradient eases to average 1 in 150.
- Gradient is then more or less flat, or can easily be made to be, until reaching Hillsborough Road when it drops at a very steep 1 in 35 to Queenstown Road.
- There is then a more or less flat stretch until Quadrant Road.
- From Quadrant Road the line drops at 1 in 50 to Onehunga Mall.
- After that it averages 1 in 60 down to Victoria Street.
- It eases to about 1 in 80 down to Captain Springs Road.
- It is then more or less flat to Neilson Road.
- From Neilson Road to Westfield it drops at average 1 in 180.